Search This Blog

Friday, December 16, 2016

Grandma's Christmas Letters: 1961

My paternal grandmother wrote a Christmas letter annually which she then copied and sent to friends and family.  She also kept a copy for herself. Re-reading them as a family historian gives me a new insight into her daily life. Below is a transcription of one of her letters; I've tried to keep her actual words, punctuation and grammar intact.



**  MERRY CHRISTMAS    1961  **
***


DEAR

Christmas 1961
Our nice fall weather has turned to snowy white a Christmas season. It is no doubt pleasing to the merchants. It is helped put me in the mood for Christmas.… If the weather is good I plan to drive to Brookings where Bob and family will also be spending the holiday season at Ardis' folks. Bob and family moved to Mpls this fall. He is with the small firm of Eng. Consultants. They live near Brooklyn Center. They will miss their nice large home in Brkgs but have a fairly new home but smaller. We all spent Thanksgiving together including Ruth and Jim Wells of Sioux City.

I have had some interesting vacation days this past year. July 4 & Labor Day week ends at Lake Poinsett. Bob has a cabin there, and we had several cookouts. The grandchildren enjoy the lake - swimming; boating and waterskiing. Paul (5½) enjoys fishing, and landed a big northern with the help of his dad while I was there. Jill, the baby smilingly looks on. 

Glenn & Darlene & Curtis (15 mo now) spent about three wks vacation here. They went to Minn & spent some time with Glenn's cousin Paul and Moore & fmly. Mrs. Davis took care of Curtis and I got better acquainted to by taking him some of the evening hours. His mom is finding out how to keep up with the lively boy. I guess that they are getting him a hobbyhorse, that should keep him corralled… I spent a week end at Sioux City after Thanksgiving-and got acquainted with Brian and Jeanie, Paul & Marlene's children. The SC relatives really showed us a nice time and we were invited to several friends homes as well.

We Miller people have had some interesting visitors this fall. Ralph Andrews and his French wife Joy paid us a visit & shortly after Cora and Bud (Reed) also of California came. Cora had not been back to SD since she left in 1946. It was her husband's first trip here. I believe they had a nice time as they have so indicated since the return. Ralph & Joy are near Glen in Penn. Both are teaching.

A weeks vacation was spent at Lake Miltona with three friends. We just relaxed and had wonderful weather.… My phn goes on and on, no rest for the phn. Our nurses are limited. Several new ones have been added but several others have left. Alice Brady is my supervisor at present, and Florence Dunn paid me a visit recently. Alice Olson makes a call now and then. I did not get to the Conv this fall, as I seem to always be very busy.

I hope that you will send me a resume of your 1961 activities, as I like to hear all the news.

** MY BEST HOLIDAY GREETINGS **
***



Christmas Letters


Photos are in the author's personal collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment