Search This Blog

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Tech Day at SLIG - #SLIGExperience

Hats off to SLIG!

Hats off to the SLIG planning committee! What a great idea to plan a full day of technology workshops the Saturday before the conference!

There were fifteen different workshops offered; most were 90 minutes but four of them were twice as long. There were opportunities to learn about Evernote, spreadsheets, writing, Google My Maps, Scrivener, timelines, foreign language tools, mind maps, PowerPoint and more. Just like trying to pick the right week-long course, it was difficult to choose which workshops I should attend.

I decided to go with the variety approach: I picked workshops that would not only build on my technology skills but would also give me a variety of instructors. I've been so impressed by the quality of instructors at SLIG (and other genealogy institutes) that I wanted to get a sampling of as many as I could!

Bonus! I was awarded Hilton bucks for attending a full day of workshops! It was awesome being paid to learn!

I spent many years in the educational technology field, retiring just 18 months ago. I attended too many workshops to count and presented many as well. My experiences showed me that I will always learn something valuable from every workshop.  And I will always learn from other attendees, too.

Tech Day at SLIG was no different. In addition to early networking with other SLIG attendees, I was able to build on my technology skills, not only from the instructors but also other attendees. I love the "interactiveness" of these workshops!

One of my Tech Day class instructors became ill and was unable to teach her evening class. But the SLIG planning committee was on top of things and was able to accommodate me in another excellent class without losing one minute of class time.

I hope that I can participate in another Tech Day next year at SLIG!

1 comment:

  1. Great review of Tech Day at SLIG. I can't wait to attend next year.

    ReplyDelete