Search This Blog

Monday, April 20, 2020

Building a Tree for Grandpa Harry Hughes Part III

Samuel Hughes 1798 - 1884


Harry Hughes, also known as Joseph Percy Hughes, was the son of Samuel Hughes and Frances Woodward. This post will talk about his grandfather, Samuel Hughes (the elder), born 1798 in Clotton, Cheshire, England and died 1884 in Broxton, Cheshire, England.

Reading of a Will1


Samuel Hughes, the elder, wrote his will in 18812. The will is very helpful as it names many of his children, gives the married names of some of his daughters, and discusses which of his children predeceased him. He mentions children from his first marriage to Sarah Windsor3 and from his second marriage to Martha Lewis Large4. It also mentions his stepchildren from Martha's first marriage to Robert Large5. In all, there were 14 children mentioned. He didn't mention Charles Hughes, an infant that died young in 18506 or Joseph Hughes, his son who died in 18707.


The Will of Samuel Hughes 1881

Transcription of Samuel's Will 1881


[page 1]

This is the last will and testament of me Samuel Hughes 
of Bank Head farm Broxton in the parish of Malpas in the county of 
Chester farmer. I will and direct that all my just debts and funeral 
expenses be lawfully paid. I will and bequeath to my wife Martha 
Hughes all my personal property money goods furniture live and dead stock 
for her soul use and benefit for and during her natural life or otherwise 
so long as she shall remain unmarried. At the decease of my said wife 
Martha Hughes I will and direct that all the clear profits on my 
property from my decease be divided among my three sons Samuel 
Hughes Richard Hughes and Edward Hughes also my daughter 
Sarah Warburton Aldersey and William Large my wife’s son share and 
share alike. 

I will and direct that the residue of my property be divided 
among my own and my wife’s children as undermentioned share and 
share alike namely Mary Mayer John Hughes Thomas Large William 
Large Robert Large my son in law Richard Parker George Large Samuel 
Hughes Richard Hughes Edward Hughes and Sarah Warburton 
Aldersey. I also direct that my daughter Martha Lea being dead her 
share of the residue shall be equally divided among her surviving 
children when they shall arrive at the age of twenty one years. I 
also direct that my daughter Eliza Foster being dead her share of 
the residue shall be paid to her son Thomas Hughes Foster. I also 
direct that my son Alfred Hughes being dead his share of the residue 
shall be equally divided among his surviving children when they arrive 
at the age twenty one years. I also will and direct that Mary 
Mayers share be paid to her in her own right and not be subject to 
her husbands control. But and providing any of the last named of the 

[page 2]

aforesaid legatees shall die and leave no husband wife child or 
direct heir such share or part willed to the deceased legatee shall be 
equally among the surviving legatees. I named and appoint my son 
Richard Hughes of Liverpool Spirit Merchant and my son in law John 
Warburton Aldersey of Liverpool Spirit Merchant my executors and 
trustees. And I direct that the above named Richard Hughes and 
John Warburton Aldersey shall have the superintendance of the Bank 
Head farm after my decease. My executor shall not be chargeable on their 
own account nor for each other for any expenses losses law changes or other 
cash or charges belonging to this my last will and testament. I will 
and direct that the whole of my property live and dead stock 
household furniture [illegible] shall be valued at my deceased by a competent 
firm and that my son Richard Hughes so hold the said valuation 
as security for money which I owe to him. I bequeath to my daughter 
Sarah Warburton Aldersey the clock downstairs and the clock upstairs 
to my wife's son William Large. In the event of my daughter Mary 
Meyer's decease before the final distribution of my property I direct that 
her share be paid to my son John Hughes. I will and direct that 
Richard Parker shall receive twenty pounds out of George Larges’s share 
of my property at the final distribution there of in repayment of money 
lent to the aforesaid George Large. In the event of any dispute arising 
amongst the family after my disease I direct my executors to call an 
immediate sale convert everything into money and put it out to interest
the aforesaid Martha Hughes to receive the interest during her life. It is 
also my wish that should my executor keep on the farm that William 
Large should stay with his mother to assist her in the management of it.

Samuel Hughes signed and declared as and for the last will 
and testament of me Samuel Hughes the testator this fourth day of June 
one thousand eight hundred and eight one in the presence of the 
undernamed witnesses who at my request and in my presence and in the 
presence of each other have hereunto subscribed their names. - Samuel 
Greenway Singleton _ John Carter, Witnesses.

Moved at Chester the 16th day of July 1884 by the oaths of Richard 
Hughes the son and John Warburton Alders the Executors to whom
Administration was granted.

The Testator Samuel Hughes was late of the Bank Head Farm Broxton

[page 3]

in the Parish of Malpas in the County of Chester Farmer and died on
the 11th day of March 1884 at Broxton aforesaid.

To be continued!


The next posts will detail the children mentioned in the will. All of them were siblings or half-siblings to Harry's father, Samuel.



1. Burnet, John, Engraver, and David Wilkie. The reading of a will / engraved by John Burnet ; painted by David Wilkie, R.A. London: Published by Hurst Robinson & Co. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/92519203/>.
2. Cheshire Wills And Probate; database, findmypast.com (www.findmypast.com: accessed 20 April 2020); document reference: MF91/33, WR25 P835; entry for will of Samuel Hughes, farmer of Broxton, 1884.
3. Cheshire Diocese of Chester bishop's transcripts marriages 1576-1906; database, findmypast.com (www.findmypast.com: accessed 16 April 2020); entry for Samuel Hughes and Sarah Windsor 25 October 1819 by banns, at St. Oswald, Chester, Cheshire, England.
4. Cheshire Diocese of Chester parish marriages 1538-1910; database, findmypast.com (www.findmypast.com: accessed 8 April 2020); item 1:152; entry for Samuel Hughes and Martha Large by banns 28 September 1840, at St John the Baptist, Chester, Cheshire County, England.
5. Cheshire Marriage licence bonds and allegations 1606-1905; database, findmypast.com (www.findmypast.com: accessed the 9 April 2020); marriage license for Robert Large and Martha Lewis 29 August 1826 at Chester, Cheshire, England.
6. Cheshire Diocese of Chester bishop's transcripts baptisms 1576-1906; database, findmypast.com (www.findmypast.com: accessed the 9 April 2020); baptismal entry for Charles Hughes, son of Samuel and Martha Hughes, Harthill, 27 January at Chester, Cheshire, England.
7. Cheshire Diocese of Chester bishop's transcripts burials 1576-1906; database, findmypast.com (www.findmypast.com: accessed 18 April 2020); burial entry for Joseph Large, age 37 or Broxton, 1 July 1870 at Harthill, Cheshire, England.

No comments:

Post a Comment