Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2016

FINALLY Get Organized! Jan 17th-23rd 2016 Checklist Progress

1. Transcribe every document you've collected on the first 4-four generations in your surname/ maiden name binder. 

Every document? Dear, Dear Myrtle! What are you trying to do to me? 

I'm going to fail at a couple of these and that's OK. The first two generations of families in my dad's family were born in what is now the Czech Republic. I hired a researcher to find the family in the Czech archives and he has transcribed the church entries for baptisms and marriages. I'm going to take his word for it. Not only can I not read Czech or Latin, I also cannot decipher that particular Gothic script although I can pick out a word or two here and there.

The first record I tried transcribing myself surprised me. I thought I knew, without looking, where this individual was born. I was off by one county. Transcribing the information will remind me to fact-check before running off on a wild-goose chase for more information.

I'm using GenScriber 2.3.4 which has similar features to Transcript referred to in DearMyrtle's FINALLY Get Organized! Jan 17th-23rd 2016 Checklist.

  2. Refile each document in the Surname/Maiden Name binder.

This part was easy as I never removed the files from the "digital" binder but rather just opened them in the transcription software. I filed the transcriptions with the exact same name as the original file except I added the word "transcribed" to the end of the file name. Also, the transcription files are rich-text-format" or "rtf" file types instead of image files.

Ready for the next challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment