Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2016

FINALLY Get Organized! Jan 3rd-9th 2016 Checklist Progress

Thanks, DearMyrtle, for your encouragement and suggestions to help tame the all the paper caused by a passion for genealogy. Here's how I am doing so far on your first checklist:


  1. Clear off the computer desk and make piles for everything.

This was probably one of the easier tasks as I actually already had some work space cleared off. And I have piles, multiple piles, for everything! I wonder if I get extra points for extra piles?


  2. Check your office supplies, and replace any missing or lost items 

I love office supplies. Does a love for office supplies come with the genealogy bug? It sure seems to. But I think I am good to go in this area.


  3. Setup your computer desk and office the way you really want it!

Not only do I have a new mouse pad, it's genealogy related. I have one with ancestors to help guide me and another with my children and grandchildren to inspire me.

My mousepad, at upper left, shows a number of my ancestors and I like to think they are pointing me in the right direction. Except for that one guy name Ole Olson, whose father was named Ole Olson, and his father was also named Ole Olson, and so on. Really? That's the only name you could come up with?

The mousepad at right shows my children, grandchildren and they inspire me to write the stories.

I also spent a good deal of time the last two summers building a library both physically and electronically. This will always be a work in progress but it is a labor of love.


4. Designate a special red clipboard as the "When Computer Help Arrives" clipboard. 

I am going to take this route digitally. This might be an area where, at least for a time, I have an advantage. My current profession is in the education technology field and I am pretty darn comfortable with most things technology. However, after 30+ years in the profession, I know how fast things change, and with retirement looming, I will probably fall out of the loop in a hurry!


5. Designate a special green clipboard as the "Genealogy Challenges" clipboard.

See #4 above for reference to my digital route. But this list will probably grow rather quickly as I am more easily challenged in this area.


 And one more BRIGHT IDEA - Open up an Amazon Prime account.

I am good with this one, too. Having an Amazon Prime account has helped with a variety of purchases and related shipping costs: genealogy, gifts, books and other media. It's an addiction and I admit, there are times I feel like I am hooked.

Thanks again, Myrtle, for your help with my New Year's Resolution. I can hardly wait to see how it all turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment