Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - December 9 - Christmas Crafts


I have created my share of Christmas crafts. As the kids got older and I started working full-time, those hours that I used to spend creating were used in more mundane tasks. To be honest, one of the things I am looking forward to in retirement, is to be able to use my hands more creatively.

But I still enjoys the crafts of Christmas past. I loved making ornaments and many were made as gifts. However, I managed to keep a few over the years and these are some that were created 20, 30 and more years ago.

"Quilted Ornament"
The ornaments at left are two of 24 cross-stitched ornaments that I made for my in-laws. There are 24 different Christian symbols and meaning of each is written on the back. The ornaments have come back to me and hang proudly on my tree. I always think of my mother- and father-in-law when I hang these ornaments.

The ornament at right is a "quilted" ball made from a styrofoam ball. I must have made hundreds of these. It's made by pushing the edges of small scraps of cloth into the 2 ½" to 3" ball with a seam ripper. They are rather quick when you get the hang of it and can be made in any color scheme.

The candles at left are some of my favorites. Fabric circles are created by taking larger circles (about 2"), stitching along the outside border and pulling the stitching taut to form a smaller circle. These are then stacked on a large button to serve as the base (about 1 to 1 ¼" in diameter). The circles are sewed to the button and topped with a yellow felt flame (2 pieces glued together). Very easy, and I love the color that the flame adds to the tree.

For several years I met with a group of women on Monday nights for a gathering we called "Stitch and Bitch." We drank coffee, created crafts and talked. It was a wonderful outing for like-minded women. Every year we hand-created gifts for one another. A favorite of mine is the cross-stitched mini-log carrier. The design is very simple, small wooden dowels make the handles, and cinnamon sticks serve as logs. This is personalized on the back with our name and the year, "1989."

I love decorating the tree and finding these ornaments among all the rest. I'm looking forward to having the time to create some new ornaments for my tree. In fact, I've already been collecting fabric and other materials. Soon I will be retired and maybe I will even be able to share the fun with my grandchildren.





"The Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories (ACM) allows you to share your family’s holiday history twenty-four different ways during December! Learn more at http://adventcalendar.geneabloggers.com.”

No comments:

Post a Comment