Search This Blog

Friday, December 4, 2015

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - December 4 - Christmas Lights


I remember my dad making a really tall wooden Santa to stand in the yard. Or at least it seemed really tall to me. Santa didn't have lights, but he greeted all the neighbors as they drove by our Brooklyn Center, MN neighborhood. In the picture at left, older brother, John, is holding younger sister, Jill, in 1961. If you look closely, you can see in the photo that my dad also strung Christmas lights to outline our three-bedroom rambler.


Here is another picture of all six of us by Santa. That's a lot children for that small house! Dad solved that problem by building a 5-bedroom home about 7 miles away. A fortunate thing since three more children joined the family.


I recall after we moved to the new house, a 2-story colonial-style home, my dad bought some very large decorations from a municipality that was selling their old street decorations. They were a little large for a house, but my dad was very proud of his "deal."

I'm afraid that if we didn't have any grandchildren that I wouldn't be able to talk my husband into stringing lights outside. It's just not his thing. Fortunately for me, we have several grandchildren and their doting grandfather wants to be sure that Grandma and Grandpa T.'s house looks festive for the season.  Grandpa likes to use white lights; we recently converted to LED lights when the old strings needed replacing. Once it is cold enough so the snow stays on the ground, and the timer is properly set, the front yard looks like a winter wonderland with the white lights reflecting in the snow.



"The Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories (ACM) allows you to share your family’s holiday history twenty-four different ways during December! Learn more at http://adventcalendar.geneabloggers.com.”

No comments:

Post a Comment