Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Grandma's Christmas Letters: 1953

My paternal grandmother wrote a Christmas letter annually which she then copied and sent to friends and family.  She also kept a copy for herself. Re-reading them as a family historian gives me a new insight into her daily life. Below is a transcription of one of her letters; I've tried to keep her actual words, punctuation and grammar intact.



South Dakota
December fifth, 19 & Fifty-three

Dear       

Christmas 1953
Today it looks like we might have a white Christmas, the snow is falling gently, so it should be a good day to get inspired to write my letter to you. Promises to visit friends in neighboring states had to be broken, but I have filed the invitations and look forward to try again next summer.

I did some traveling however I called it a bus-man's holiday. Paul and Althia have purchased a Lake site near Park Rapids, Minn., and I spent five days there with them, helping to build a boat house for Paul Alan's motor boat. It was lovely there in August, and the four of us had a nice place to stay. Roger was working so he could not be with us, and Glenn was working on a farm in hand county, so he was unable to help. But they finished the boat-house, and it will furnish housing while they build the cabin next year. On my way back to SD., I visited my niece, Lenore Largis in ND., and made the acquaintance of the family. Earlier in the summer, she and I visited in Soo City in Brookings. I hope that she enjoyed the tripping as much as I did.… Bob and Ardis left her kiddies at home and spent their vacation in Canada. Bob is teaching full-time in the Eng. Dept., at the college this year, and continuing his studies. He doesn't seem to mind being busy. We were all together for the Thanksgiving holiday in Miller. We had great fun "bedding them all down" in our little house. They even brought their new dog with them… John, 2½ seems better following his tonsillectomy. Joel 3½ has to keep on his guard or John will get the best of him. Julie their little girl is so big already…

Glenn is a junior in college this year. He was drum major again this fall for the Hobo Day activities, and a lot of folks from Miller went down for that day and the Parent's day later as the weather was ideal. State College did all right on the football laurels this year.

I had a Speech and Hearing clinic here in Miller this fall, and felt that it was quite successful. Miller is a progressive town, and welcomes any new projects that I have to offer. Lots of building going on here. Dr. Hagin is building a Standard Service station out north of town across from the new Sinclair station. Then there is a huge REA building also going up north. Two new houses across the street from us. It makes us all want a new house, but I for one can't think of it until I get my new Ford paid for- it cost almost as much as a house-

I belong to a Garden Club, and find it immensely interesting. Crystal Lake Park is one of our projects. My garden was dry last summer, but it kept me supplied with flowers and a plentiful crop of strawberries. Bob has lots of fruit, so we do not have to go far to get fruit.

The Nurses Convention was very well planned, there was a lot of business, and we got awfully tired, but that was necessary I suppose. It was nice to see a lot a lot of friends there. Convention city is Sioux Falls next year.

Now I must close and with friends at home and friends afar, these my Christmas wishes are: peaceful be your Christmas day.

Myrle and Glenn


Christmas Letters


Photos are in the author's personal collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment