Search This Blog

Thursday, December 8, 2016

Grandma's Christmas Letters: 1954

My paternal grandmother wrote a Christmas letter annually which she then copied and sent to friends and family.  She also kept a copy for herself. Re-reading them as a family historian gives me a new insight into her daily life. Below is a transcription of one of her letters; I've tried to keep her actual words, punctuation and grammar intact. (This particular letter was long with no breaks so I added line breaks for readability.)

South Dakota

Christmas 1954

Dear Friends,

Christmas 1954
Another year has rolled around again, and it is time to send out the annual Christmas greetings. It would be fun to greet you all personally, but this will have to be the next best thing. 

Our family was all together at Thanksgiving time. Bob and Ardis brought their two little boys, Joel and John and Julie and the new little girl, Lynn Ann. We all had a fine time together. The new baby is about four months old now, and gave no one any trouble. The others had fun playing with my boys' outdated toys. Amazing how those old things outlast the modern plastic toys. 

Bob is again at the college, teaching Mechanical Drawing & Power Heating and in his spare time, he is remodeling his home. They needed more room (for) their larger family, so they are building on a larger kitchen and will use the present kitchen for dinette. In the meantime his construction company goes on with his partner as overseer. Business is slack in the winter of course. 

Glenn is a senior in college and is staying at the new Men's Dorm- Harding Hall. It is convenient to be right on the campus. I have attended most of the college activities this year realizing that I am going to miss that contact. Glenn led the college band in the Hobo Day Parade and out onto the football field for the formations and for all the fall football games. It was grand weather and a very beautiful site with all the colorful college attire in the stands. Guess that it kept Glenn pretty busy, but I heard no complaints- and he appreciated the honor. Quite a few from Miller have captured honors at the college this year. Some of you may be interested to know that Mary Margaret Robinson got mentioned in Who's Who in Colleges. Next we have to think of what they will do when they finish. From the conversation, Glenn does not expect to be very close to home.

The Moores (my sister's family) have made progress in their building program. The boathouse that they started last summer is completed and a nice start has been made on their summer cabin, in Minnesota. I spent part of my vacation up there and tried to do my bit, because I might want to be a welcome guest someday when they have it finished. The Goetchius household, nearby, made us all welcome again this year. My two nephews Paul and Roger have found nice girlfriends and are both engaged. They all spent time up there with us. It rained but we had fun anyway. Later this fall, Althia spent a few days with me and Miller, while Paul did some hunting in the Cresbard area.

I attended several weddings this year, and enjoyed so much seeing Glenn's young friends take their life partners. I even got to Maple Lake, where I hadn't visited in years. It was like a family reunion went all of us got together to attend Betty's wedding. Betty is my niece, Joe P.'s daughter, and she and her husband will live in Chicago. 

Glenn has a lovely girlfriend, Darlene Davis from St. Lawrence. She is in her second year of Nurse's training. Office continues about the same. Dr. Hagin holds the clinics, and is very pleasant to work with- he has been pampering himself by trips to Bermuda, Bahamas etc. Write me all about yourselves now. 

Sincere Christmas joy,
Myrle


Christmas Letters

Photos are in the author's personal collection.



No comments:

Post a Comment