Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Grandma's Christmas Letters: 1963

My paternal grandmother wrote a Christmas letter annually which she then copied and sent to friends and family.  She also kept a copy for herself. Re-reading them as a family historian gives me a new insight into her daily life. Below is a transcription of one of her letters; I've tried to keep her actual words, punctuation and grammar intact.



1963
**  SEASON'S GREETINGS   **
                                                         


Dear Friends:
Christmas 1963

"AUTUMN comes in stealthy ways, her present scarcely known.… Till green of summer leaves become a yellow tone."… That is the way the Christmas season has crept up on us.… But better late than never-I will send my Christmas greeting to you.

The big news in my family is a new baby born November 4 at the Pottstown hospital to Darlene and Glenn. They have named him Scott Glenn-maybe another astronaut? Little brother Curtis needed a playmate, but recent news from there says he spends most of his time being a good baby and not much for Curtis to play with.

I plan to spend Christmas vacation in Minneapolis with Bob's family and also to go to Pottstown for a visit with them. I am looking forward to being there, but not to the trip. Traveling by any manner is becoming more and more difficult. I may have to even resort to a dogsled.

Bob & Ardis spend much of their off time taking care of interests in Brookings. They enjoy the Lake life too, and did spend quite a few weekends at their cabin on Lake Poinsett. They spent their Thanksgiving in Soo City with Ardis' sister. Her mother and sister joined them there also.

I spent Thanksgiving at Cresbard at Jess & Vera's- farm home. Althia & Paul were there for several weeks. My nephew Roger and wife Carol came up from Tulsa. Roger was interested in taking back his limit of pheasants. They all left for the south before the snow storm hit us. Althia and Paul will probably go to Fla. again this winter.

I have had a busy year, but took a week off in August to visit in Minn again. Two ladies from here went also. I believe the ladies enjoy the trip- although we were visiting only my relatives. Jessie and I made the curio shops while and went fishing.

Work in the office continues about as usual. There are changes in the trends of public health work, but never any less work. Not much contagion to visit. Our clinics are well attended, but that will be reduced with the popularity of the oral vaccine.

Nothing new at my house, except new carpeting- oh yes-wall-to-wall-nylon.. It needed it. 

Our canasta club still enjoy playing. We play 5 decks- really runs into big scores. I play bridge with the neighbors now and then but I'm not good at that.

Must close and wish you and yours the Best of Seasons.


Myrle





Christmas Letters


Photos are in the author's personal collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment