Search This Blog

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Grandma's Christmas Letters: 1960

My paternal grandmother wrote a Christmas letter annually which she then copied and sent to friends and family.  She also kept a copy for herself. Re-reading them as a family historian gives me a new insight into her daily life. Below is a transcription of one of her letters; I've tried to keep her actual words, punctuation and grammar intact. (This particular letter was long with no breaks so I added line breaks for readability.)



BEST CHRISTMAS WISHES
FOR 1960
*****

Dear       

Christmas 1960
It is a cozy feeling to be in where it is warm. The snowdrifts are piled high and our winter has started early, so I have time to get my Christmas letter written to you. This is truly Christmas card weather, and should inspire everyone to get the Christmas spirit, so I will start by wishing you a warm, old-fashioned Christmas and much happiness in the New Year.

The big news in our family this year was a new baby boy-Curtis Aain- born to Darlene and Glenn on Oct. 9th. I spent my vacation in September, but the stark would not cooperate, so I have seen only a picture of him so far. They say he is doing well, and Darlene plans to retire from active nursing & remain at home for a full-time job, I am sure. Her folks and sister Carol will visit them in Pottstown, Pa., this Christmas. Glenn is still with Mpls Honeywell- branch plant there.

I spent Thanksgiving vacation @ Bob's home in Brookings. He is busy building and Ardis seems happy with their new "Model" house on 104 So Jefferson near a new grade school. Their children are growing up fast. Julie 8 takes piano, while Joel 10; John - 9 are now taking horn lessons in school. Lynn- 6 is in first grade, and Paul- 4½ will soon be in kindergarten.

I went on to Sioux City and had Thanksgiving dinner with the Moore's family. Paul & Marlene have a new baby girl-Jean Marie and Brian (2½ yrs). They live in a lovely new home which Paul designed & built. Roger & Carole are also employed in Sioux City. Roger is building homes as a side-line. It is interesting to visit with the young people & get to know them better.

I have had a busy year. We have set some new records in clinic attendance. We have started the long-range Mantoux testing program. Lots of follow-up and records required. The new President-elect will have to increase the Public Health Nurse's budget, so I can have a secretary.

Altho this sounds like an annual report, you'll have to read between the lines, and see that "Every day should be like Christmas, with love in the air- it takes such a little Remembrance to show someone you care."

I Will be looking forward to hearing from you and hope the good fortune will smile on you in 1961…

That is my Christmas wish for you.


Christmas Letters


Photos are in the author's personal collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment