Search This Blog

Monday, December 19, 2016

Grandma's Christmas Letters: 1962

My paternal grandmother wrote a Christmas letter annually which she then copied and sent to friends and family.  She also kept a copy for herself. Re-reading them as a family historian gives me a new insight into her daily life. Below is a transcription of one of her letters; I've tried to keep her actual words, punctuation and grammar intact. (This particular letter was long with few breaks so I added line breaks for readability.)



HAPPY CHRISTMAS - 1962
"Toast-mistress' Dream Letter"


Dear Friend

INTRODUCTION:
(short)


Christmas 1962
Our first snow puts us in the Spirit of Christmas! I am Wishing you the Best Christmas ever at this time.

The buying spirit has not struck me too strongly as yet. I am still in the looking mood. My relatives will not fare very well as I have little time to even look. I should try sitting on a tack. You know the story: it should make you get up and do something about it! Or should I just send them my recipe for Happiness Cake: "1 cup of good thoughts; a cup of kind deeds; a cup of consideration for others: 2 cups of sacrifice; 3 cups of forgiveness; 2 cups of well-beaten faults. Mix together, add tears of joy and sympathy. Flavor with love and serve often."? What we need every year is TWO Decembers, and more vacations.

BODY (meat):

I visited both boys and their families this summer. Bob's have their home in Mpls now, you recall. And Glenn in Penn State. 

Bob's Joel and John are Paper boys & the two older girls are busy with piano. Paul is in school so that leaves Ardis with only little Jill at home for company. She has taken up teaching and SS class and Bob joined the choir. They did go frequently to visit in Bkgs at their Lake cottage, but those trips will be less frequent, with the added duties. I get to see them less frequently. They live near a very nice shopping center; good school and other advantages of city living.… 

Glenn and Darlene have also bought their own home. I visited there in July and now I will have another excuse for a visit. I love to go, but it cost a small fortune to go that far. Darlene's sister Carole accompanied me (by train). They (all of us) enjoy Curtis (2 yrs)-he is quite a talker, and being their first and only…

I also visited at Potato Lake (Park Rapids, Minn). A friend went along as she likes to fish, I just like to be lazy. It was very pleasant up there. Althia and Paul have sub-rented their home in Soo City and will spend winter months visiting around. They spent some time at Cresbard with Paul's sister and husband. I spent some enjoyable week ends there also. 

I did a bit of rejuvenating my house this summer. I did look around with "buying" in mind as there are lots of new houses for sale in Miller. I finally thot, with some refurbishing my house would look more like home. I had the furnace overhauled and redecorating and now it is more livable. I still need a new living-room rug but it will have to wait.

I play canasta with the four-some and enjoy TV and radio, and my perennial plants in the summer. Lawns were not much of a problem as rainfall was plentiful. But what's that old saying: get a dandelion an inch and it will take a yard.…

SUMMARIZING:

The Office is the same as before. Winnie (Supt) had surgery this fall, but recovered quite rapidly & back into the harness again. Part-time help is needed due to increased enrollment, although we have doubled up on many schools. Courthouse is having a dinner party Dec-11-eve., we look forward to this get together, altho most of us are weight conscious. We should pattern after the monkeys-they thrive on bananas, and did you ever hear of a fat monkey?

I better use the space to Wish you and Yours a HAPPY NEW YEAR & hope that you will write me all your news. I still drive my 1958 ford-I think that I shall try sleeping at the wheel, Someone told me that it's a good way to keep from growing OLD!! .....

Best wishes   ……...   Myrle P


Christmas Letters

No comments:

Post a Comment