Search This Blog

Thursday, December 22, 2016

Grandma's Christmas Letters: 1966

My paternal grandmother wrote a Christmas letter annually which she then copied and sent to friends and family.  She also kept a copy for herself. Re-reading them as a family historian gives me a new insight into her daily life. Below is a transcription of one of her letters; I've tried to keep her actual words, punctuation and grammar intact.



CHRISTMAS 1966
HAPPY  HOLIDAY SEASON TO YOU ALL



Dear Friend

Christmas 1966
Since July 1st - I have retired, and I do enjoy it. I find that I'm still very busy. I help to keep things going while the new nurse (Althea Williams) was taking her orientation period at Aberdeen. Then the later part of August Glenn and Darlene came out to visit and I went back with them. I stayed all of September. Bob and Glenn both live in Mpls now so I had no trouble finding things to do at each of their homes.

Both boys have large homes, so I was able to help and kept busy mending and other busywork..Mending my favorite hobby kept me really busy at both homes. Bob lives quite far out on a small lake near Osseo. The school bus goes by their house and picks them all up except my bath and the new baby Carol Jean-born October 30th. Ardis will have a few hours to herself while the older children are in school. Bob is with De Laval now - a recent change.

We had a family get-together while I was there and relatives from Maple Lake joined us to make it very enjoyable. Glenn lives close to school-about three blocks-in the village-suburb-St Anthony-Curtis is in kdg and Scott is three takes good care of things for Darlene. Glenn is still with Honeywell.

Althea and Paul spent their summer at their Lake home near Park Rapids, but have gone to Oakland Park, Florida for the winter. Paul Jr lives in Mpls also about 2 miles from Glenn. Roger is in the boat business in Pompano Beach Fla. Paul is improving following surgery in July. Althia is in fairly good health, and keeps very busy with her hobbies. I spent the month of January there with them last winter. They show me points of interest and Roger gave me a a small education in boat travel.. (And I liked it)

I attended the nurses convention at Mitchell this fall. I had not been up to going for a long time. I spent a few days in Aberdeen in October. My friends really made me welcome. So good to see all the friends and most of them enjoying their retirement.

I spent Thanksgiving in Miller with friends. The bus trip is quite long and whether unpredictable. My good friends never let me eat alone on Thanksgiving. My canasta friends always are anxious for a foursome. Some friends like to play play bridge also.

I am doing a little sewing - easy things like aprons - anyone needs one - I will be happy to whip one up for you.

Hope the new year will be a happy one!





Christmas Letters


Photos are in the author's personal collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment