Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Grandma's Christmas Letters: 1964

My paternal grandmother wrote a Christmas letter annually which she then copied and sent to friends and family.  She also kept a copy for herself. Re-reading them as a family historian gives me a new insight into her daily life. Below is a transcription of one of her letters; I've tried to keep her actual words, punctuation and grammar intact.



"IN A FEW DAYS  ---  CHRISTMAS  1964"

Christmas 1964
Christmas is a good time to remember your friends and your relatives. In a few days we will all be anxiously looking forward to hearing from our friends and relation. We want to hear what they have been doing the past year the best way to get a letter is write one and usually one gets a reply.

I will be taking a vacation at Christmas. I plan to spend a little time with each of the boys and their families. I have nine grandchildren now. Five boys and four girls. Bob and Ardis have a new baby girl-four months old. They named her Myrl. I was pleased of course. Myrl Beth, I think that it is a cute combination, and I'm looking forward to visiting her and all the others. They like it in Minneapolis. They have fun winter skiing and waterskiing. They visit their hometown of Bkgs as Ardis'  mother is there. They were on a visit to Miller also this summer.

Glenn and Darlene have Curtis Alan and Scott Glenn. Curtis (4) loves to play cowboy. Scott (1 yr) just plays period. Glenn extends his Honeywell services to quite a wide range. He is finished with the Sara Lee project and now is about to start a project for the Pepsicola Co @ Syracuse.

Althia & Paul - are wintering in Honolulu. Paul Alan & family have moved to Duluth Minn. I am looking forward to visiting up there as it is beautiful country. Roger and Carole are still in Tulsa. They have a new home and seem to enjoy the south. We all get together @ Vera and Jess' farm occasionally.

Four Canasta playing ladies spent our summer vacation @ Park Rapids near where my relatives have their cabin - Lois, Jesse and Ann had a very enjoyable time together. At least it rained while we were there and that is something that we did not see for the rest of the year. Ann did the driving, and she also did the fishing-and we had fish too. It is very enjoyable spot to relax, and I get to see some of my other relatives. Last holiday season, I was able to visit @ Maple Lake, and get acquainted with my nieces and nephews there. The two girls are planning their summer weddings.

All you Public Health Nurses know that we keep very busy, so no need to go into that. No other news items, so with

ALL GOOD WISHES for the HOLIDAY SEASON and for a New Year of 
HAPPINESS for 1964  I will close
Myrle P.





Christmas Letters


Photos are in the author's personal collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment