Search This Blog

Monday, December 12, 2016

Grandma's Christmas Letters: 1956

My paternal grandmother wrote a Christmas letter annually which she then copied and sent to friends and family.  She also kept a copy for herself. Re-reading them as a family historian gives me a new insight into her daily life. Below is a transcription of one of her letters; I've tried to keep her actual words, punctuation and grammar intact. 


Christmas 1956
South Dakota

Dear Friends,

Christmas 1956
I have been hoping for Christmas would be coming soon, so that I could again write my Christmas letter to you, and then perhaps get a reply in return. I am writing this on the day after Thanksgiving, and we are having a bit of unusual weather. We had a few inches of snow, and then it rained last night, so driving is extremely hazardous for those who went away for Thanksgiving. I stayed in Miller, as the weather look bad, & I had a lot of "catching-up" to do at home.

My family has grown since last I wrote you. Glenn and Darlene were married, Sept. 22nd, so now I have another daughter. Also Bob and Ardis have Paul Richard, who was born April 10th. I spent a few days in Brookings while Ardis was in the hospital, and got better acquainted with the other two boys and the two little girls. They are a nice family.

We all had a very nice time at the wedding. Many relatives and friends from away came, which I thought was wonderful. Some of them I had not seen for a long while. John (5½ yr) was ring-bearer; and Julie (4 yrs) was flower girl. They looked like miniature bride and groom, cute as buttons. Darlene is an RN., of McKennan. They have a furnished duplex in south Minneapolis. Darlene is at present employed in a doctors office and Glenn is still with Minneapolis Honeywell.

Bob manages to keep busy, as there is a terrific housing shortage in Brookings. They remodeled their own home, so now they have it very nice and enough room as well as roomors. I did a little fixing up my house this summer. Little by little I got the painting and varnishing down, so that I would be ready for the big event and wedding guests.

We had a interesting Work-Shop at State College during the first two weeks in August. It was rather a vacation from general county work, and I believe one of the best we have had. Most of the public health nurses stayed at the dormitory, so we got pretty well acquainted to. At present arrangements are underway to place a student nurse with me for her Public Health field work, under the four-year collegiate program. I think that I will be pretty busy.

Enjoyed seeing a number my friends in October when I attended the Nurses' Convention in Aberdeen. Out side of that I guess I have told all the news. I spent too much time watching TV., but I do enjoy it, and I guess I just like staying home.

I will be looking for a letter from you now, so with my very best wishes for the Christmas season and lots of good luck.

Myrle


Christmas Letters

Photos are in the author's personal collection.





No comments:

Post a Comment